31 Mar 7 Ways to Save Money on Home Maintenance
While home ownership can be exciting and a wise investment, it can also be shocking to see how quickly maintenance costs add up. Mortgage data company HSH Associates says most homeowners pay about 1% of their home’s value in routine maintenance every year.
How do you save money on home maintenance and make appliances and furnishings last longer?
Here are seven home maintenance projects that are wise to check off your list this spring. They’ll save you a lot of money in the long run!
- Clean your vents and air filters regularly to reduce wear and tear on your home air conditioning, heating and ventilation systems, and save money on energy by improving air flow throughout your home.
- Get your rugs, carpets and furniture deep cleaned regularly — especially wall-to-wall carpets and upholstered furniture like couches and dining-room chairs. This will prevent mold and permanent stains from settling in, reduce normal wear-and-tear and help carpets and furniture last much longer.
- Check water-based appliances regularly for signs of potential leaks to catch water damage before it happens.
- Make sure your fire alarms, carbon monoxide detectors and security alarm system are in good working order.
- Clean your refrigerator coils to save energy and make this expensive appliance last longer.
- Clear your gutters every spring and fall to prevent ice dams and other water damage from hurting your roof and siding. (Better yet, have a gutter system installed to prevent the build-up of leaves and other gutter clutter.)
- Check your home for holes where small critters might nest, including in the roof, around the chimney and especially under overhangs and eaves.
Make cleaning a regular part of your home maintenance routine this spring by callingSmart Choice Cleaning for spring cleaning specials on maid service, carpet and upholstery cleaning. Call (703) 455-1440 today!