01 Dec How To Prevent Mold & Mildew In The Bathroom
Mold and mildew can build up in your home despite cleaning it often. Mold is harmless if it gets taken care of quickly, but if left for a long time in humid conditions, it’s likely to grow rapidly and cause issues for you and your family, as well as potential damage to areas of your home, such as sinks, bathtubs, and toilets.
At Smart Choice Cleaning, we dedicate ourselves to ensuring the safety and cleanliness of residents and commercial businesses throughout the Northern Virginia area. We provide customers with high-quality tile and grout cleaning, as well as move-out house cleaning, high-quality maid service, and many more. A Smart Choice Cleaning service will have your home or property looking brand new. Below are different ways to remove the mold or mildew safely:
Depending on how much the mold has grown and what type it is, you may not be able to remove it on your own. If any mold is covering an area of more than 10 square feet, you should seek professional assistance. Furthermore, if the mold is in cracks, broken tile, or grout, you may have to remove it first and then re-caulk once the mold has been removed. In case you have black mold, we advise that you avoid going near it, as breathing near it is quite hazardous. For general and less serious mold removal, here are some items you will need:
- Mold remover (or bleach and white vinegar)
- Baking soda
- Brush, sponge, or scrubbie
- Paper towels
- Caulk and Caulking gun
These tools will assist with the mold removal process, but for a more precise and safe removal, contact an expert mold removal service near you.
Always remember that your safety is key during mold removal. Wearing a mask and gloves will protect your lungs and skin from the chemical fumes and mold. Also protect avoid mixing cleaners, as these can create even stronger fumes that can affect your ability to breath. To prevent getting a headache from the fumes, open the nearest window for ventilation. Here is a suggested step-by-step guide for how to clean mold from your home:
- Scrub – Before trying any chemicals, scrub the area with a wet sponge. If there isn’t much mold, it will come off easily.
- Mix – fill a spray bottle with bleach or white vinegar and water.
- Spray – Spray large amounts of your cleaning solvent onto the visible mold, and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes.
- Scrub again – Scrub the areas with a nylon brush, toothbrush, or sponge.
- Rinse – Rinse the areas with warm water.
- Scrub again – Once more, scrub the affected areas and rinse with clean water.
- Dry – Wipe down all surfaces with dry or paper towels.
- Caulk – Re-caulk the tiles and other areas, as they are heavily affected by the presence of mold and must be removed and replaced in order to completely remove it from your home.
To keep mold and mildew at bay, be sure to check those areas where the mold first appeared. While showering, open a window, turn on a fan, or invest in a dehumidifier. This will prevent the room from retaining excess moisture. Once a week, spray down your shower and try to keep it as clean as possible.
Smart Choice Cleaning: Expert Tile & Grout Cleaners in Northern VA
If you are looking for an experienced, professional tile and grout cleaner, consider Smart Choice Cleaning. We perform high-quality cleaning services for residents and commercial businesses throughout Northern Virginia, including regularly scheduled maid cleaning, move-out & move-in cleanings, carpet and upholstery cleanings, and many more. Our experienced and trained professionals are able to clean even the largest messes and the hardest to wash stains. To book an appointment with our team, contact us at (703) 455-1440