29 Apr 6 Ways to Make Your Carpet Last Longer
The carpets in your home represent a significant investment. Costs for new carpet can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand, depending on the area, type of carpet and pad, and many other factors.
No matter how much you paid, you want your rugs to stay looking nice and new for as long as possible. Here’s how to do that:
- Apply a carpet protector! In addition to vacuuming, using mats and more, having professionals apply a high-quality carpet protector can help prevent stains from setting in and reduce the negative, grinding effects of soil and dirt.
- Vacuum regularly! Ideally this should be at least once a week, or more often for high-traffic areas. Make sure you use a good quality vacuum cleaner that is suited to your carpet. Your SCC consultant can recommend a vacuum cleaner.
- Use floor mats. Place mats at the entrance to your home or office from outside. This will minimize the amount of dust and dirt brought into the home or office. And don’t forget to regularly clean your mats. Also, try to limit bringing food and drinks in carpeted areas.
- Professional cleanings. You should have your carpets professionally cleaned every 12 -18 months, but high-traffic areas may need to be cleaned every 6 months. Make sure you choose a reputable company, because a poor-quality cleaning can damage your carpet.
- Remove stains properly. If your carpet gets stained, make sure you try to remove the stain immediately. The longer it remains, the harder it will be to remove. If you are unable to clean up a stain completely, get a professional carpet cleaner in as quickly as possible to spot-clean the affected area.
- Wear socks! Try not to walk on bare feet on your carpet! The oils and dirt from the skin can harm the carpet. Shoes can grind in dirt and harm the carpet fibers. It’s best to wear clean socks.
Mother’s Day is coming up Sunday, May 10!
Call Smart Choice Cleaning at (703) 455-1440 to purchase a gift certificate for carpet cleaning, maid services and more — and be sure to ask us about carpet protection when you call.
We offer special discounts to our Facebook fans, so be sure to ‘like us’ on Facebook today!